Pinellas County Democratic Executive Committee Board Meeting
General Body Meeting
Thursday, April 27, 2017
Called to order at 7:11
Reciting of The Pledge of Allegiance
Words from the Chair
- 45 has released a one page tax plan and we are all not going to be shocked to find out that the rich are going to get richer
- Our social safety nets (Medicare/Medicaid) are going to be at risk
- The freedom caucus has decided to be on board to appeal the affordable care act
- Spent time with Representative Crist and he’s on the floor and in meetings fighting a good fight; he’s introducing legislation that school buses are required to have safety belts.
- Spent time with Stephanie Murphy working on a lot of economic bills important t to Florida; Republicans are going after the seat she sits on and we need to make sure we keep people like her in the seat.
- The Florida House yesterday the Republicans passed a work requirement for people with Medicaid
- Bill 1238 – charges us as rate payers to pay for Florida Power/Duke Energy to Fracking. Asking all Democrats to make phone call to all State Senators it
- Constitutional revision committee they are touring the state to allow people to speak in response to the items that can be placed on the ballot. They will be in Hillsborough May 26th
- Request for surrogate has been turned in for our Prelude to Victory Dinner. DNC is working on it. As soon as we find out and the date we will let you know.
- New fund raising program will be rolled out in the next couple of weeks.
- Yesterday an announcement was made that the FL democratic party has hired a new President, Sally Boynton Brown, who will lead the party under Chair Bittel.
- Moroni is not looking to be reelected; We are going to fight to get
- Pat’s kick off will be the beginning of June; she’s working hard to get everything together;
Approval of March Minutes /Ramona motioned Suzette 2nd and approved
Vice Chair Report
- Information passed out about precinct committee members roles and responsibilities; training the trainers will occur at the DEC Headquarters which will include the district chairs so we can expand trainings across districts. The more precinct captains trainers we have the easier the District Chair will have to be able to train more people
- Earth day had caucus and environment caucus; registered voters; had a lot of elected officials come by including the Mayor
- Spoke with Ben Diamond and the Fracking bill is being stalled and we need to call our State Speaker.
Speaker: Ray Claire Johnson
- Played a film about how the American Promise has been executed and is behind what we are all struggling with today
- American Legislative Exchange Council (ALEC); they meet regularly and determine which legislation they want passed and they go back to their states to work and have it passed in their states.
- ACCE American City & County Exchange and they have been charged with buying local legislatives so they can take over
- Freedom Partners is an organization formed by the Brothers who are an ALEC. Ray Claire predicts will be the next political party in the United Sates.
- Need to get the Amendment passed
- ALEC members control all 12 of our state universities; they have 3million students signed up to be spokes people to their generations and there’s nothing to counterbalance the movement.
- American Promise is trying to get the ordnance is the first of its kind it will outline super packs (the packs must report who they are giving their money to, but super packs don’t have to report anything). This is to assist with knowing where campaign spending is going June 22 @9am St. Pete City Hall.
- Trying to get a resolution for support to pass in the county to start educating our elected officials and residents as to how threatened they will be with the new movement of ACCE in their community
- Need people to sign up to collect signatures; need 100,000 to quality for the state to look at it and when they approve the validate initiative they we must gather 1million signature by January.
- Campaign of Dollars for Democracy; Put in $10 for American Promise $5 Ordnance of St. Pete and $5 for free Speech for Florida;
- Have to make it personal not just at the office but at their homes. We need to focus on the elective officials that are not doing what we want.
- Annual audit completed and submitted to Supervisors of Election
- 1st 2017 we had 91 individual donations in the quarter that totaled $5006
- 2017 Property Appraisal report is compliant
- Chair of finance committee is Larry Bittel; who will be spearheading our fundraising. Shannon Love and Monica Dixon will be working on events.
- Reach out to RyanCobin@gmail.com if you need or want any assistance with your treasury department
- Clubs and Caucuses pay according to size; determined by registration starting at $25 up to $100
- This is the highest number of people we have had in the last 8 years
- For the 1st time in the last 20 years we have the opportunity to cover all of our expenses covered by every member committing to $10 a month it would all be covered.
- Complete the envelope on your chair or go to the website and sign up.
State Committee Report
- Nick Pillotti director of Party Affairs due to his wife having a baby; he’s out for a couple of weeks; and the county has hired Rachel Burger as the Deputy in his stay
- Since last meeting we have had the state party meetings and thanked everyone for the number of people that showed up from Pinellas
- Rick is currently 1 of 3 co-chairs that’s rewriting the state charger and bylaws because we feel there are things that need to be updated and approved. Looking for comments and suggestions on things that can be fixed and such; please submit electronically to https://goo.gl/forms/XOg8jtUEqGGdABTg2
On May 20th, there will be a public hearing for individuals that have suggestions for the revisions
- Deadline was April 18th the Progressive Caucus and N. Pinellas Caucus got their paperwork in and it has been reviewed; Gulfport will be reviewed with the June report. There will be a conference call on Saturday, April 29; but won’t get certifications until after Junes meeting
- Next Deadline is June 1st; the next one is October 6
- Leadership Blue Gala is always held at the Diplomate in Hollywood June 16-18; working on getting Keynote Speaker. You can get tickets at a discount
New member for each district:
District 64 – 1
District 65 – 3
District 66 – 3
District 67 – 2
District 68 – 8
District 69 – 10
District 70 – 6
Jim Donelon moved Corey Givens 2nd
- St Petersburg has the most progressives he’s seen in his lifetime. A bill being passed preventing apprenticeships to be hired; but this is the worst legislature we have ever had.
- City Council voted to make on all new building and rebuilds as a matter of course to design them with solar in them.
- One of the committees is coming forward with living wage ordinance which means if we do a contract for someone to build or provide parking services they have to pay $12 per hour.
- Closing the loophole for part-time employees that have been there for less than 5 years.
- We had 910 boarded up houses before Rick Kriseman today we have 219 boarded houses.
- The polls have Rick Baker ahead of Rick Kriseman; this is going to be a tough race; if we lose a Mayor and Council Seats all the above will change.
The vote on the Rowdies Stadium will be on May 1st
Team Kriseman – Jacob Smith
- We have a lot of important work to do; we have four months to do an important job; Adrian is the field director;
- Going to go out and talk to people that have never voted in a City Council Race
Corey Givens Jr
- Running for Dist. 60 on City Council because he feels the city needs him
- He has a team of folks that are vested and care about the people in St. Pete
- Make sure St. Pete recruits and retains
- Early Childhood Education
- Affordable Housing
Jeff Larson – Running for Schoolboard Seat 2
- Been a teach for 13 year; 8th grade middle school; currently rebui9lding a union rep for his school
Jim Jackson – Running for District 6 St. Pete City Council
- Need to fix the school
- Need to rebuild the pier
- Need to improve housing
- We need Mayor Kriseman to win
Black Caucus had some elections today; We need new ideas and new solutions
Trevor Mallory – President
Carlo Bristol – 1st Vi\
Matt Byrd – 2nd VP
Sheria Hope – Secretary
Keith Harris – Treasurer
Motion approved by the board to oppose the Sabal Trail Pipeline
THEREFORE, LET IT BE RESOVLED, that the membership of the Pinellas County Democratic Executive Committee opposes, and urge the Florida Democratic Party to oppose, the construction, completion and operation of the Sabal Trail Pipeline
Moved by Bill Bucolo 2nd by Jay Alexander and approved by the membership. No one opposed.
- Susan – Rep. Crisp new finance person coming need some affordable housing; speak with Susan
- Tarpon Springs; Publicly endorse Jeff Larson for Schoolboard
- Jennifer Webb
- Handouts at table outside
- District 69 handed out info about monthly meetings
- Sunday 1-3 picnic
- Linda Lucas – South St. Pete Democratic Club
- Thanks for all the support for when Andrew Gilliam came to town
- May Day Picnic come by after work May 1st 4-7; bring a child
- Meeting at noon at the Sanderlin Center will be showing a movie
- Picnic May at Ft. Desoto
Adjournment 9:05 Moved by Rick Boylan 2nd by Ramona